Monday, May 8, 2017

GET TO KNOW CHANEL OLIVE THOMAS: Bb. Pilipinas Supranational 2017


Sweet and amiable, Chanel Olive Thomas was named Miss Friendship from among the 40 Binibining Pilipinas candidates this year. This lovely lady, who always has a welcoming smile, was also bestowed the Best in National Costume award that night, thanks to her intricate Muslim-inspired ensemble that comes with a stunning headdress.

A vision in pink on the night of Binibining Pilipinas 2017 Coronation at the Smart Araneta Coliseum, 26-year-old Olive was named the successor to Joanna Eden.

During the Interview portion of the competition, she was asked for her opinion on same-sex marriage that is already legalized in other countries. Her response elicited applause:

“As a Christian, I do believe that marriage is between a man and a woman. However, I do believe that everyone, every single person in the world deserves to be with whoever they want. And if they want to get married, that is fine,” she said.

So who is Olive beyond the Binibining PIlipinas Supranational 2017 title?



From Down Under

Like Joanna Eden, Olive grew up in Australia – in Cairns, particularly. Olive has a twin brother and comes from a close-knit family. “Three years ago, I made the best decision that I have ever made in my life – I moved home to the Philippines,” she says.

Before Binibini

While many might have seen Olive’s name in some news items prior to her joining the pageant, there’s more to her than things one reads in headlines.

Olive has been working as a model and a host. Describing herself as an aspiring motivational speaker, she has a Certificate III in Business Administration, and Certificate III and IV in Fitness.

Life lessons

Her journey to the crown is filled with thrills and challenges. “I always see every situation and season in my life as an opportunity to grow and become a better person. Everything that has happened in my life has shaped me into the person that I am today,” she points out.

Being a Binibini

Olive considers it an honor to join the other ladies in charity visits, noting, “I feel very blessed to have been given this opportunity to be able to reach out and give back to our community through this platform.”

As a Queen

The power of inspiration is not lost on any of the Queens, and like the others, Olive knows she has the opportunity to lead by example.

“I am looking most forward to using this as a platform where I can use my voice, my story and my experiences to inspire and empower young girls and women to whole heartedly believe in themselves and to follow their dreams,” she says.


Interview by Annie S. Alejo
Photos: Bb. Pilipinas Official Facebook Page
Chanel Olive Thomas IG page (@chanelolivevillamayorthomas)

No comments:

Post a Comment